Wednesday, April 15, 2009

writing

The best decision I made this semester was to include a writing class in my schedule. This has kept me actively writing new material and submitting DURING the semester instead of in the gaps. I'm pleased to have several new pieces emerging and more story ideas than I can write at the moment. I find it emotionally hard to go for long periods with writing creatively and for myself so this has been a good bridge.

I am also pleased that I took a nonfiction course because I often write nonfiction but seldom write nonfiction essays. In fact, I remain uncertain of the distinctions between writing types and at this point I think those distinctions don't matter at all - what everyone seems to want is a good story, be it fiction or factual. I am also reminded how strong I am at this end of the writing spectrum. I've done a huge amount of nonfiction article writing over the years and at this point I can tell that the work is in there.

I've also reached a new level in terms of how marketable I think my writing is becoming. So much of this world centers in self confidence and preventing personal sabotage. Sure, you need to work your skill sets to a nice, smooth place - but, there are a lot of really good writers in the world and what seems to propel one forward more than another is often centered in how the writer sees themselves. Confidence gets you to submit work and submit work and submit work. It fights against the negativity of certain rejection. Prevailing will eventually deliver sales and then name recognition will improve sales timing etc... But, right in the middle of all of that is the person who must find the inner wherewithal to endure. In addition to confidence or because of a type of confidence - the ability to get bloody, get real, get relevant also emerges. In a way it is a surrender and an empowerment at the same time. When the Emperor Wears New Clothes - he's naked.

No comments:

Post a Comment