Monday, January 26, 2009

thinking the essay...

I had a great time in my nonfiction class today with the exception that I got volunteered to submit an essay...like...today. Hmmm. That really isn't a problem because I write fast and can generate something but I'm not sure what the appropriate length should be. We have NO guidelines.

I'm thinking 2-3000 maybe?

My next class isn't for two more hours so I might get it done in between - or at least started. I'm only marginally anxious. I have a sneaky suspicion that I am somewhat ahead in the general field of writing (compared to the class)

The hard thing about being an old person in a class full of young people is that it is easy to be too much. I know what it was like to be 20 and how indecisive I was and how I didn't know too much about the world or myself. My general rule is to keep my mouth shut until or if the professor needs someone to talk and then I try to keep things simple. I don't always succeed though. Twice today I got into subject matter that was clearly a shock to some of the students. I hope it doesn't put anyone off.

The reverse of this is that I really am in the class to improve my own writing. As the professor mentioned - people have to start where they are. I can no more pretend to be 20 than I could grow wings on my butt and fly.

So, I should stop procrastinating by blogging...huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment